Asparagus sushi alternative tastes as good as it looks…
This Asparagus Sushi with Saffron Mayo promises to be a delightful and tasty spring dish, perfect for any occasion.
Vegan/ gluten free/ nut free
240g Sushi Rice
2 tbsp Mirin (Rice Wine)
2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
4 Nori Sheets (Seaweed)
12 Asparagus Spears
4 tsp Vegan Mayonnaise
1 tbsp Saffron
2 tbsp Water
Wasabi to taste
- Add the water and rice to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water disappears and the rice is cooked. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- Once cool, dress with vinegar and mirin, add salt and set aside.
- Wash, trim and steam the asparagus for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of icy water and allow to cool. Drain and set aside with vinegar and mirin, add salt and set aside.
- Lay out a sheet of nori on a sushi mat. Dip your hands in water and spread a 1/4 of the rice trying to cover half of the nori, bottom up and leave the other half clear.
- Place 3 asparagus spears on the rice at the very edge of the bottom of the sheet. Lift the mat up and over from the bottom, apply a little pressure to keep everything tight and push into a roll. Refrigerate.
- Soak the saffron in the water and then mix with the mayonnaise.
- Cut the sushi and serve with the mayo and wasabi.